Sunday, August 3, 2008

A skating spectacular!

Figure skating is such a beautiful and inspiring sport. I’m always in awe as skaters glide across the ice so gracefully. My heart skips a beat when they get ready to go for a jump. They make it look so easy, but it takes so much strength, training and dedication, not to mention coordination. Last year I had the opportunity to watch 2006 Olympian Emily Hughes and Olympians pair figure skaters Marcy Hinzman and Aaron Parchem take to the ice alongside other world-class stars and amateur skaters from the Columbus, Ohio area for the annual Skate for Hope, which raises funds to work toward a cure for breast cancer.

Carolyn Bongirno, a breast cancer survivor and amateur figure skater, established the fundraiser five years ago, which has already helped raise more than $150,000 for breast cancer programs and research. And this year proceeds from the event will benefit the Vera Bradley Foundation for Breast Cancer. I’m so excited to be going again this year for their 5th Anniversary Show at the end of the month. If you’re in the Columbus, Ohio, area, and are interested in attending, drop me a line and let me know!

No comments: