Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The true definition of a gentleman


When I first met Dr. Sledge, I was two months pregnant and terrified. I had been told I had breast cancer and that I had to terminate my pregnancy. Working for Vera Bradley gave me tremendous advantage over that terror; however, through the Vera Bradley Foundation for Breast Cancer. It helps fund some of the work being done by Dr. Sledge, so I went to him to get his medical opinion. It was a long drive and was utterly draining. When I walked in to see him, he was not at all what I expected. He was quiet and sweet - his tone was gentle and calming without being overly optimistic. He never indicated that this would be an easy journey; quite the opposite. After presenting both benefits and risks, he announced that he would save my baby and me, too. Almost 4 years later, I am so proud to announce that he was just elected to be the President of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. Congratulations Dr. Sledge for saving so many lives. We love you!

Read the story at verabradley.org »

No comments: