Thursday, October 15, 2009

In Service


UNITED STATES OF AMERICA – By now, you’ve all see those websites you click to give free mammograms to women in need, right? Then you click like mad just hooooooping it might make a difference and not be a sham? I was talking to a woman who asked me “well, what do we do if they get bad news? They couldn’t afford the test, how can they handle the treatment?“ Exactly. There are service groups popping up all over the country, and I encourage you to take a look at what they do. Some offer gas cards to get back and forth to treatment, some offer gift certificates for food, the lists go on. Here in Indiana there is a group called IWIN who helps reach out with such things, and I hope every state can do the same. It is important that people know that this disease is financially devastating – even to those of us who have great jobs with wonderful insurance! The total costs of things not covered or even anticipated are staggering. I am writing this today because I spent quite a bit of time this past week with a woman battling breast cancer. She has an incredible job, prominent position, good benefits. The things she has had to do to try to make it financially was a reminder to me to ask you all to be sure to donate for services as well as research. She said to me “Heidi, I had to go in for another biopsy today. I’m terrified they will tell me my cancer has returned - not because I am afraid to die, but because I know we can’t afford to go through this again." Please support research as always, but don’t forget the immediate needs of patients as well.

UPDATE:
This story that was recently in the news illustrates just this point.

No comments: