Friday, August 27, 2010

Beauty Marks


SOMEWHERE IN NORTH AMERICA, USA - Out there on the web lives a gal who posted this note a few days ago: “Today, for the first time, I forgot I had been through cancer. Then I got undressed for bed…”. To say I can relate to that thought is a vast understatement. This comment was flooded instantly with sympathetic responses. Oh I’m so sorry, oh you poor dear, etc.

I have been thinking about this for quite some time, and have decided that while I am clearly empathetic, I am not going the route of pity. That is not to say that I minimize her pain, or to shortchange her personal journey. I just see it through an entirely different pair of eyes.

The scars that some of us wear won’t go away, even though they might fade. The bits and pieces of our bodies that have been removed won’t magically re-grow. We ARE reminded of our battles every time we take a shower, that is true. I see them, however, as reminders of the battles we have won, even though they were difficult. But we have won, so that’s the focus for me. Doesn’t mean that we cancer patients now possess superpowers or will live forever. (Although for the record, if I get to pick a superpower I want flight. Seriously.)

For those of you out there who were just diagnosed today; yes, you will have scars. Potentially quite a few, and maybe even a tattoo for radiation. They will be there forever. They are always around, but guess what – so are you. Take that, stupid cancer. For those of you who, like me, just crossed the 5 year mark; yea, most of us are still taking medicine that makes us feel just ask icky as we did at 2,3 and 4 years out. Who cares, we are still here too. Take that, too, stupid cancer. To those beyond the 5 year mark; I probably don’t even have to tell you how cool you are. Your scars are the most faded, but also still here. You are inspirations to us and we admire those scars – we see them as beauty marks. Now take THAT, stupid cancer. :)

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Great perspective! Please share more of what has helped you through at www.BreastCancerRegistry.org , there is so much that can be learned from your take on cancer- by registering better programs and materials can be made to help others through.