Thursday, November 18, 2010

911


COLUMBIA CITY, INDIANA - Early for work, what an incredible turn of events this is! I’m driving along on my way into the office and see a police officer getting off of his motorcycle to give a speeding car a ticket. We all merge left, to give him some room. Then, about 5 minutes later, whoosh! They both go flying by - the crazy driver and the officer! The car takes a tight turn off the highway, and the motorcycle tries to follow. In my rearview mirror, I see him wipe completely out on the street!!!

I pull over to the side of the highway, dial 911 and start running to the accident. The car that caused this is now long gone, and another driver has gotten out of his car to help as well. I am running and talking to the 911 guy. I resist the urge to say 'send a bus' like they do on Law and Order:SVU but man, do I want to. Running in heels on the highway, what a way to start a Monday. I reach him as he is standing up, kind of wobbly but on his feet. Looks like he has injured his ankle, but wants to try to get back on the bike.

The 911 operator seems insistent that an ambulance come, but the officer says it's not necessary and the call is stopped. The other driver goes off to work, so I start to walk back to my own car. The officer drives off, but then pulls over immediately behind my car, about 1/2 a mile away. As I am walking, a red mustang pulls over and asks if I want a ride–it’s another police officer in stealth mode. HA! So I jump in (I’m tall, it’s a little car, but who would pass this up?) and we get to the injured officer. He’s now off the bike again and resting on the side of the road.

This is the best part, to me. The mustang cop says, "Let's take a look at the leg," and the first guy pulls up his trouser. And there it is. One of the prettiest boots I’ve ever seen-black patent leather with little ties, full to knee boot. "Oooooohhhhhhh, so pretty!" I say. They all look at me and stop for a moment, blinking. In the middle of all of this, is she really commenting on the footwear? (Clearly, never met me before) Then they all crack up. Much needed tension breaker, they say. "Um, yea, ok." But I was totally serious, where do you get them? Heh. They thank me for pulling over and staying with him, to which I reply – “Well, who wouldn’t?" Then the red mustang guy says “NO one. There have been 60 cars at least that have passed us. You and one other fella stopped. That’s it. Two out of at least 60.”

The good news is that our hero the police officer is ok. His buddies came and took great care of him. So here’s what I took away from my Monday morning. I don’t have to be sitting in an office to help someone. I don’t have to only help people in the world of breast cancer. All of us can do something pretty small every day to try to help someone, even if there isn’t anything you can really do, you can at least try! I still made it to work on time and got to see some great kicks. Just fyi – they are upwards of 400 bucks. :)

No comments: