Monday, November 1, 2010

Diabetes


Worldwide - Someone I love and admire is struggling with Diabetes right now. More than one someone, actually. Statistically speaking, you can probably say the same thing. I have so much admiration for those that are on this journey, especially those that are children. I have had just one blip in the old health chart, and while it is a whopper, it is largely out of my hands. The cancer patients I know don’t have to inject themselves daily; some of us will take pills the rest of our lives but that about covers it. Most of us have chemo, radiation, more surgical scars then we can count, but then we’re mostly done. (YES, I know I am oversimplifying. I’m trying to turn over a new leaf and not be so pedantic.) We eat as healthy as we can, but for the most part don’t have to worry about measuring things or keeping track of numbers on the ingredients lists of foods.

The lifestyle, and in some cases, lifestyle changes, of people with diabetes are remarkable. They are introduced to sudden and swift schedules for exercise and diet that are quite literally the difference between life and death. I can only relate to myself and let me just say this; if someone came to me and told me to do something that drastic my first response would be to soothe myself with chocolate cake.

I was asked recently to consider doing a mini-marathon. Assuming they meant ‘Help me plan, organize and come speak at this marathon’ I said well sure! Love to! Then the next conversation seems like an awful train derailment involving discussion of training and time lines. Ooooooh no, you didn’t mean actually participate (run?) in this event, right? Yes, she responds, of course we want you to. Breast cancer survivors running and making a statement of health after diagnosis, stuff like that. Oooooooh again. Mercy. I’m not your girl. I run after my children, my dog, and to catch a flight in the Detroit airport. Not on pavement with people watching.

After my trying to duck out of it (um, I am so sorry but I think I will be busy … that season … or year) I’ve decided to take a cue from my diabetic friends. Get out there and try it. Not only might it save your life, but it might make you have a little more get-up-and-go, as well. I’ve been advised by Lynda, my co-hort here at the Vera Bradley Foundation, just start slow, but start. So her advice I shall take. I’ll start running and thinking about all of those people with diabetes who work up the courage to run headlong into better health every day.

No comments: