Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Stats


INDIANAPOLIS - I had an interesting conversation with a fellow survivor recently. She wanted to know if I was aware of statistics about cancer and divorce, cancer and discrimination, cancer and (fill in the blank). I told her that, indeed, I was very well aware of these stats based entirely upon my own interactions with other patients.

I've known about them for years, actually; it's a quiet little rumbling conversation that no one really wants to bring to the open. I've been asked more than once: What do you think about this?

It's a percentage, that's how I look at it. Certainly, there are times when things will go wrong. Devastating, disheartening, discouraging. There seems to be a common thread with those who have come out on the other side, however.

We just survive. Find another reason to get up and keep fighting. I'll cry with you when you need it, pray with and for you always, and I'm always quite happy to celebrate the victories as well. Chin up, survivors. Rally around each other so that we can ignore the stats. :)


Image: Courtesy of ImageNation

No comments: