Friday, February 27, 2009

PJ Party


INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA - When I was going through my breast cancer treatment, I was exhausted. Really, that’s not a strong enough word but it is about all we have to describe extreme weariness. As a result, of course, my housework suffered. My treatments are finished now, but somehow my house is still a mess…but that’s really a story for another time. Today I want to introduce you to cancer services that are cropping up all across this country. These service providers help women going through breast cancer treatment by supplying them with help for the basics. Lawn mowing, housecleaning, laundry services, etc., - things that you just don’t have the energy to do after chemo, but still it needs to be done. Cancer service assistants match volunteers with very grateful patients. This evening, I am going to a ‘pink pj party’ in Indianapolis – a fundraiser for Indiana Women In Need, who provide exactly these great deeds at no cost. I will be wearing my pjs (Vera Bradley pj pants, of course), dining, chatting, and standing in awe of people who are so willing to give of themselves to help others. Thank you to everyone who helps in such a way – and to those of you who think you might be able to spare an hour every now and again, feel free to look up your local cancer services provider. Tell them you are ready to help a weary woman when she really needs it the most!

1 comment:

The Heavenly Husband said...

Wow this is so great. I was very fortunate while I was going through my treatment, I had so many friends and family members come by and clean my house, make me food, take my kids. It was awesome. You just don't know how much people care until you go through something like this.

Joleen Ruffin (Sayazu)