Saturday, April 25, 2009

The handwritten letter

PASADENA, CALIFORNIA - When I was a little girl, my grandfather would write me letters. Born in Germany, he worked harder than anyone I knew to assimilate to his new country that he adored so unabashedly. By writing to his granddaughter, he could practice penmanship and English with someone who would just cherish the letters and never criticize any small flaws. That was my introduction to the gift that is the handwritten note. Years later, as I went to college, the letters sent every week (without fail!) from my mother are still so powerful I can honestly still not look at them; I just miss her so much. Just a few short years ago, when I was quite ill, I received other letters. Some were just quick jots on a note card, some were letters penned on lovely stationery and some were in a journal that circulated around the Vera Bradley offices so everyone who wanted to could add a note. I have them all, I read them all, I want people to understand how profoundly they affected my life. When you take the time to sit down and write something to someone, it shows that you care about them and have them in your thoughts. These are the same sentiments felt by my friend, Devon. She is starting a project that will hopefully remind people about the value of these tender expressions – when she partnered with Vromans in Pasadena, it was the perfect fit. Hey, I have an idea. Send me snail mail at:
The Vera Bradley Foundation for Breast Cancer
Attention: Heidi Floyd
P.O. Box 80201
Fort Wayne, IN 46898

PS: Check out photos by Ed and Annie Vita at vitaphoto.com

No comments: