Tuesday, November 16, 2010

$270 Million


THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA - According to the Washington Post, the 2010 election cycle saw “Independent groups have reported spending $270 million so far, but that number does not include tens of millions of dollars more that were not disclosed to the Federal Election Commission."

I don’t want to wax the political philosopher here, but I would like to toss this out for consideration. The Fiscal Year 2010 Defense Appropriations Act provides $150 million to the Department of Defense Breast Cancer Research Program. Take a little look-see at those numbers, my friends. I don’t particularly care what party you are affiliated with, or if you are ‘red’ or ‘blue’ (Silliness, this is America. We are basically shades of purple, if you think about it.), those numbers are kind of a disparity to me. We spent so much for such fleeting dust in the general time/space continuum, when we might have been jacking up funding that can give a cure to an entire planet. A FOR-EV-ER cure.


I would like to respectfully submit that our newly and formerly elected politicians consider spending just a tad less on mean-speech ads and tell the independent groups to donate the money instead to breast cancer research. And then tell us you are doing that; you might be shocked at how many people vote for that kind of gesture. I could be wrong, but it’s it fun to live in a country that allows me to think such thought – and be allowed to put it in print! Whoo-hoo, yay America!!! :)

No comments: